After the chaos of planning Harrison's birthday party and Davis' baptism, Lance and I went on a much needed get-away to Colorado for a fun, kids-free, not-so-relaxing ski trip. My parents were so kind (and brave) to watch the boys for our trip. They were relieved though to know that Lance's parents were not going with us but would stand as back-up in case the boys were running wild...thankfully they behaved well enough that my parents actually stayed a few extra days once we got back!
We headed out to Colorado on a Tuesday and stayed through the following Sunday. This was the first time that I had left Davis and the longest that I had been away from either of the boys so I was a little nervous, but once we got to the airport and I was able to sit back with a bloody mary, I was able to relax and get into "vacation mode"! We stayed the 1st night at Lance's sister's house just outside of Boulder and then woke up at the crack of dawn (5:30 am ugggghhhh) so that we could make it to Copper Mountain by around 9:00 to start our first day of skiing. The snow was kind of "crispy" the first day and it had been 2 years since I had skied so I felt a little rusty.
Here is Lance stretching before our first run...
Now is this a look or what?
Its funny because every time I go skiing out west, once I get on the mountain, I'm usually focused on where I'm going that I rarely think to look up and enjoy the breathtaking views. Here is a picture where we were skiing and I made Lance stop to just take a breath and look around. I can't imagine having these views everyday! Its like you feel as if you're looking at a movie set with how perfectly majestic the mountains are!
We finished skiing around 2:30 the first day and went back to our room to relax and get ready for dinner. We found a local pizza place at the resort and enjoyed a huge calzone and some frosty beers! They had these cool torches setup around the center of town so we stopped for a photo op...
That evening it started snowing and it didn't stop until the following afternoon. The following morning we ate at this belgian waffle restaurant and had the most amazing waffle I have ever tasted. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!Since it was snowing all day we couldn't get any good pictures on the slopes...and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees so we didn't want to take off our gloves to take the pictures! The first day it was somewhere around 45-50 degrees and I think it was about 30-35 the second day but since it snowed so much the powder was amazing!
Here is a picture from our lunch restaurant that has a nice view of the cute town. The area right behind us is actually ice skating rink but you can't see it due to the 10 + inches of snow that fell that day!
After we finished skiing for the second day, we packed up and headed back to my sister-in-law, Jennifer's house. We stayed with her family from Friday - Sunday and had a nice time visiting and playing with her girls Anna & Emily. We had a 3rd day of skiing at a local ski resort called Eldora, but it was about 60 degrees outside on top of the mountain, so the ski conditions were not what you would call ideal. It was super icey and after about 2 hours of skiing I had 2 yard sales (where you fall so hard that your skis and poles fly off in different directions) so I decided that was my queue to call it a day!
I was definitely missing my boys after about 3 days of being gone and that part was harder than I thought it would be. I had such a fun time and it was nice to get a few quiet days to spend with Lance. Our lives seem to get busier by the day and its hard to find time where we get to just have fun together by ourselves, so it was a nice break. Hopefully we'll get to keep up our tradition of our annual ski trip in the future...having family out west definitely helps us find an excuse to hit the slopes!





No comments:
Post a Comment