Monday, October 31, 2011

Camping Trip and Fall Fun in Cincinnati

My dad called me a few months ago and asked if he could take my boys camping in October, so this past week, we made the trek to Cincinnati for a week of fun.  Growing up, every year around Halloween, we always went on a father daughter camp-out with my dad and some of our family friends, so I was excited for the chance to let Harrison experience camping!  I feel like we have been gone a lot this fall so we haven't been able to do all of the fun fall things that I always look forward to, so we spent the week in Cincinnati, knocking them out.
First up, was Berger's farm for the pumpkin patch.  During the week, they only do tours for big groups, so we had to be there bright and early to go with all the day care groups.  Harrison had so much fun running through the corn maze...(he was running so fast I couldn't get a clear photo)
and Davis loved the Burger Farm train...
Next up was the puppet show hosted by Mr. Burger, who Harrison kept calling "Mr. Hamburger".  It was really cute and Harrison got really into it.
They handed out popcorn and juice to all the kids (and adults), sang songs and had a really interactive, fun show.
After the puppet show, we loaded up for a hay ride out to the pumpkin patch.  Everyone got a free small pumpkin that was included in our tour, so we all got to pick out a pumpkin once we got to the patch.
Harrison was on a mission once we got there, he jumped out of the hay ride, ran to the patch as fast as he could and he picked out his pumpkin...then tried filling his bag with more.  Davis was just watching us like we were crazy.
It was such a bright day so getting pictures was a little difficult...
We spent most of the week just relaxing at my parents house and playing with granddaddy's trains.  For some reason, after the first few days, Davis started having a hard time sleeping at night so Grandmommy got some rare cuddle time with my little man...
Julie came in town on Thursday night with her boys so Friday, we headed out for the campsite.  Harrison always gets so excited to see his cousins, so he was a happy camper (pardon the pun). 
Jack drove in my car with Harrison and I and he kept talking about how excited he was to "go to the forest", so when we got there, he made sure to tell his mom that he couldn't take his medicine in the car, he needed to take his medicine in the forest.
Excited about their first camp-out...
We took a little hike in the woods, set up the tents, built a fort, made dinner over the fire, roasted smores and by that point, we were all exhausted so we all went to bed.  I knew Harrison would love everything, but I was nervous about the going to bed part.  We had two tents set up and the original arrangement was that my dad was going to sleep in one tent with the boys and my sisters and I would sleep in the other.  Harrison got really upset when everyone was laying down and didn't want to go to bed.  I'm pretty sure it was because he was nervous and scared so I was able to get him to calm down by getting him to sleep in my tent with me.  Julie then moved to the "boys tent" and I think we all had a rough time sleeping that night.  It was really cold outside and despite our warm sleeping bags, it was hard to stay warm.  But, we all made it through the night and I think the boys really enjoyed it!
Aunt Liz, Granddaddy and Harrison
Slumber party!
Mission accomplished!
Believe it or not, the fun wasn't over yet.  The day that we got back from camping, we went to my Uncle Jay's for a family halloween party.  They spent a lot of time decorating their house and they did a beautiful job...here were a few of my favorite decorations...
I love these lanterns...I'm thinking you could transform regular lanterns for halloween to imitate these...
Davis hanging out with the big kids, watching Wall-E.  It was a fun night and was nice to get to spend some time with my aunts & uncles!
Thanks mom and dad for hosting us, we had a great week and I know Harrison will be talking about his camping trip for months to come!

1 comment:

Renee said...

It looks like a great time was had by all. I don't think I would be brave enough to go camping with my little ones but it looks like you guys pulled it off!! Glad you guys had a great trip.