Today was the big day - the first day of T-Ball for Harrison. Skills Test Day. The baseball league has all of the kids come out to the fields, with one field/age bracket, to do a skills test and all of the coaches watch. Harrison was so excited!
I didn't know what to expect, so we got there about 15 minutes before our assigned time. I didn't want him to get nervous, so I told him that all the coaches were so excited that he was going to play baseball, that they all wanted to watch him. After we left, he kept saying, "Mom, how did all of these people know who I am??".
They were finishing up the 4 year olds when we got there so he was able to watch them to see what he needed to do. We also saw one of his friends from school in line, so he was really happy about that.
They had the kids line up in the batting cage to wait for their turn. I was worried that he might get a little nervous, but he marched on in without thinking twice.
First, they had the kids practice hitting the ball off the T a few times...
After they hit the ball, they got to run to first base...Harrison tried to keep running to the other bases. He told me later that he was a little upset that he didn't get to run to all the bases.
Then they had to practice catching the ball at the pitcher's mound...
...and throw the ball to first base.
You can't really tell from the picture above, but he was funny because he had his glove on his right hand, but he kept trying to grab the ball with his left. I'm sure its a little tricky trying to learn how to catch with your least dominate hand, but its also a little confusing b/c since he is left handed, sometimes he likes to try to hit the ball with his left hand and sometimes with his right. He threw the ball today with his left, so I guess we will see over the next few months, which he favors.
He did such a great job listening to the coaches and their instructions...
It was a little tricky because Davis wanted nothing to do with standing in line or holding still, despite all of the snacks/treats I brought for him. He wanted to go play baseball with some kids on a different field so I was trying to take pictures but also trying not to lose my 2 year old in a sea of kids!
I was so proud of Harrison and I can't wait for t-ball to start!
After we left, he called his daddy who was helping his aunt move today, and said, "Daddy! I had so much fun! I went onto the field all by myself with the coaches and I didn't even need mommy to help me!" It made me tear up to hear him say that, but I was so proud of him!
After we left, we celebrated with Menchies...what can be better than that...baseball and ice cream all in one day!
Summer 2018
-
Summer 2018 was filled with sports, beach, friends, and a special trip to
Chicago to wish a special lady a happy 90th birthday. Jackson played both
trav...
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment