Thursday, August 19, 2010

Last minute Cincinnati Trip

Last week I got a call from my mom that her best friend's mother passed away.  We grew up with their family and they really have been like our second family.  We spend Christmas eve with their family every year, so I was heart broken to hear that "mamoo" was no longer with us.  Because of this, I decided to take a last minute trip home to attend the funeral and be there for my mom.  This was very brave of me because this was my first road trip with the boys by myself.  Surprisingly, both boys behaved!  We took off after Harrison's school on Thursday & managed to drive 5.5 hrs before Davis woke up!

While the circumstances behind the trip were not the best, I was very excited to get home to show off baby Davis to my family.  It was also nice to have so much help with the boys from my parents, my sister and my cousins!  Lance has had a grueling work schedule lately and it has been hard on all of us.  It was a nice break for myself and for the boys to get so much extra attention!  It felt like a "relaxing" week, well, as relaxing it can be with 2 kids! :) 

My parents had been in CA for a work convention so we actually beat them to the house. They had delayed flights and didn't end up getting back until Friday afternoon, so Saturday was our first day to really get to do anything.

On Saturday, my mom and sister had to work a Shaklee event so Harrison, Davis, my dad and I went down for Duck Boat tour.  I'm not sure if anyone has heard of this, but it was so much fun!  A company bought a bunch of these vehicles from WWII, fixed them up, and they now do tours of cities around the country.  The vehicles can drive on land, but transform into a boat and can also drive on the water.  The tour starts driving through the downtown streets, then they drive you into the water for about 30 minutes and they finish the tour back on land.  It was so much fun and Harrison had a blast.  He wasn't quite sure what to think at first, but once he realized the boat wasn't going to sink, he was fine.  He kept telling everyone that the boat fell in the water! ha ha!  We finished the morning with lunch at Arthurs...yumm!
My Aunts and cousins came over that evening to meet Davis and we had fun just catching up and playing with the kids at my parents house.  I didn't get my camera out until after my Aunt Nancy had left, so unfortunately I didn't get any pictures with her, but here is Aunt Carol with Davis.
Harrison was so tired from our big day so he had no problems falling asleep that night.  This picture was so funny that I had to post it.  I went up to check on Harrison about 30 min after he went to sleep and this is how I found him...sound asleep with his legs hanging off the bed
My biggest feat for the week, was finding a swing for Davis.  I have been wanting to buy one because while Davis is a great sleeper, when he is awake, he wants to be held the entire time.  He has not been a fan of the baby papasan chair that we have, so I needed to try something else.  He won't stay in it for too long, but 10-15 min here and there, has been a big help!  This has been a big adjustment for me b/c Harrison always loved to lay down so he could stretch and kick around.
Davis hanging with his grandmommy...
The boys and I relaxing on the couch...
Davis has been starting to be more alert lately when he's awake.  He will occasionally lock eyes with you and this past week, he even smiled at me a few times!  One of my new goals lately has been to try to catch his smile on camera, which is proving to be harder than I thought!  Here is the closest that I've come...
On Sunday night we headed to Pompilios for dinner.  Its one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Cincinnati, and incidentally, where Rain Man was filmed!  Here are Liz & Ben with Harrison.  Harrison just loves Ben, so poor guy, gets stuck entertaining him when he is around!
There was a long wait, but thankfully they have bocce ball courts out back where Harrison could run around.  It was pretty out back so we got the boys pose with grandmommy & grandddaddy...
After dinner, when we were walking out to the cars, we got quite a surprise...there was a blimp in the sky!  This was, by far, the highlight of Harrison's trip.  I think this was his first time to see a blimp and he will be talking about this for months to come!  Here are Harrison and granddaddy looking at the blimp...
The next morning, I wanted to head to the Gap Outlet, so my dad took Harrison down to our little local airport where they keep the blimp when its not flying.  They headed down first thing in the morning and got to look at the blimp and watch planes take off and land.  Harrison had so much fun, and I think my dad has been having so much fun doing all the "boy" things that he never got to do with his girls! :)

My mom bought Davis the cutest little hat...here is the little man showing it off...
The other really cute thing that highlighted the week for me, was that my dad got to put Harrison to bed each night.  For some reason, if I am there, he never lets my parents put him to bed, but this trip was a little different.  My dad would give him a bath and then climb in bed and tell him a story.  His story was always about a little boy and his family and the adventures that they had that day (basically, he would go through Harrison's day from start to finish, in story form).  Harrison would hang on every word he would say, it was so cute!  I never had really close relationships with my grandparents so I love watching Harrison have so much fun with his!
Here are my cousins Emily & Sam with Harrison & Davis.  Poor Emily was around all week, so she was my big helper with the boys...whether she liked it or not! :)  Thank you so much Emily!!
On Tuesday evening we went back down to Lunkin Airport to have dinner. You can sit outside and watch the planes land, so you know Harrison loved it!  The best part was that the blimp was there!  It was the perfect night to eat there...mid 70's with a breeze.  A nice change of pace from the nasty hot weather in Atlanta!  Here are a few pictures from the evening.
The blimp!
Harrison and graddaddy having fun watching planes & helicopters land...
I love this one...
Harrison and his granddaddy were buddies all week and had so much fun.  We were so sad to leave and hope to make it back soon!
We got back last night and we had to be sure to call Granddaddy to get our bedtime story...
We hated to leave, but Harrison was so excited to see his daddy.  He ran outside when he heard the garage door open and wouldn't let Lance out of his sight until he went to bed!

No comments: